Welcome to the website for Gettysburg Area High School. It is my hope that you find this site to be informative and helpful as you seek information about our school. The links to the left provide both summaries and contact information about the programs and activities at GAHS.
We are proud of the work being done by the students and staff at GAHS.
In 2001, Congress reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. It was given a moniker at that time reflecting the philosophy governing the legislation – No Child Left Behind. Deeply imbedded within the legislation was the philosophy that schools must work to make each and every student successful. Much of the criticism over the past several years regarding No Child Left Behind is what appears to be a narrow definition of success.
So what is success for a high school? Can it be measured simply by a test score? I want to share with you what No Child Left Behind looks like at Gettysburg High School.
- It is a high school that has an art program with more than 30 regional Scholastic Art winners including three at the national level in the last three years
- It is a high school with an award winning technology education association.
- It is a high school with a gold-star rated JROTC program.
- It is a high school with Advanced Placement scores above the state and national averages in 12 different subjects.
- It is a high school with a Vocational program producing a 100% rate of proficiency on the national certificate exam with 85% of the students scoring advanced.
- It is a high school recognized by the local community college as having the most students involved in dual enrollment in the area and producing the highest placement scores in a decade.
- It is a high school with district, regional, and state-level recognized musicians.
- It is a high school with recognized performers in the fine arts.
- It is a high school with regionally recognized service organizations promoting philanthropy and student leadership.
- It is a high school with speech and debate champions.
- It is a high school with scholarship athletes in a wide array of sports.
- It is a high school with a nationally recognized literary magazine containing student produced art, poetry, and prose.
These various and diverse successes indicate what Gettysburg Area High School is about. We truly believe that no child should be left behind – if you love art, music, performing arts, math or science, computers, poetry, building rockets, architectural drawing, the French language, or soccer – it is here and it is done well.