Gettysburg Area Middle School
Lunch and Breakfast Program Information
2020-2021 School Year
Breakfast will be available for purchase every day at a reasonable price. Students eligible for free and reduced price lunches may use these benefits for breakfast as well. Only one meal application needs to be completed. The same meal account is used for breakfast and lunch. Look for the breakfast menu for more information.
A copy of the menu will be posted in your homeroom. The menus are also here on the District website. Menus are available for pick up in the cafeteria.
There are a variety of entrees including salad bowls, fruits, vegetables and milk flavors available each day for the meal price. You do not need to place your lunch order in advance. You may choose the five components that make up your meal, so it’s important to know and understand them. Below is an explanation of those 5 components. You must take three of the five offered for the meal price and one of those must be a fruit OR vegetable. We encourage you to take all five for a “real meal deal.”
Student Lunches – 5 Components - YOU MUST TAKE A FRUIT OR VEGETABLE WITH YOUR LUNCH
There are five components of a school lunch:
1. Protein (hamburger, hot dog, chicken fries, cheese on pizza, tuna, etc.) Choose one.
2. Grain (roll, noodles, pasta, pizza crust, etc.) Choose one.
3. Fruit - Choose one.
4. Vegetable - You may have 2 servings of vegetables.
5. Milk assorted flavors, ½ pint. Choose One.
Sample Lunch: One slice of pizza (protein and grain) ½ cup corn, one serving of fresh broccoli, whole apple, milk OR one slice of pizza (protein and grain), fresh broccoli, and milk. Soup or a dessert are occasionally offered as extras, they are provided with the meal at no additional charge.
Milk, 100 percent juice, bottled water, fruits, vegetables and an assortment of a la carte items are available for sale to compliment any packed lunch from home, or any school meal.
If your child has food allergies, please ask the school nurse, a member of the food services staff, or click here for the form that must be completed by a physician. This form must be on file in the food service department and updated each year before any food substitution can be made for any of the meal components.
There are recycling barrels available and marked for recycling plastic drink containers and aluminum cans. Please remove the lid, and empty all liquid from the container before depositing in the recycling barrels.
Service Line Area Rules
1. Backpacks, books, coats and other items may NOT be carried through the Food Service Area.
2. All students must enter through the regular entrance location not through the cashier area.
3. A limited number of students will be allowed in the Food Service Area at one time.
4. Please do not enter the food court just to accompany a friend. It creates congestion and slows the lines down. If you are not making a purchase, please wait for friends in the dining room.
5. There is no eating allowed in the food court. Please wait until you get in the dining room and seated at your table.
All Students are responsible for:
1. Returning your trays and silverware to the dishroom window and properly placing them in the dishwasher racks.
2. Recycling empty aluminum and plastic items in the appropriate containers.
3. Placing silverware in the soak sink.
4. Paper and other waste must be placed in the trash receptacles.
Students are responsible for maintaining a clean area. Please clean the area where you were sitting before you go outside or return to class. All lost and found items will be sent to the office.
Students wishing to make a purchase from the machine must have cash. Money cannot be used from the lunch account. No carbonated beverages (soda) are sold in these machines.
When you are going on a field trip, the cafeteria can pack a nutritious lunch for you. The lunch can be debited from your meal account. Please be sure you have funds on the account to cover the lunch. Free and reduced benefits may be used.